By CHARLES CHIJIOKE
Desmond Elliot, member representing Surulere I in the Lagos State House of Assembly, has revealed that he supported the 2025 impeachment move against former Speaker Mudashiru Obasa because he believed the action had the approval of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The lawmaker said confusion engulfed members of the assembly during the controversial political episode, insisting that many lawmakers acted under the assumption that the move carried the backing of the president.
Speaking during a television interview on Tuesday, Elliot said the circumstances surrounding the crisis created uncertainty among legislators and influenced his decision to append his signature to the removal process.
“I was also as confused as anybody was and then I saw that almost everyone had signed. And pretty much I thought it was from the president and I appended my own signature,” Elliot said.
The revelation comes amid renewed political tensions surrounding the leadership battle that rocked the Lagos State House of Assembly in January 2025, when Obasa was removed following allegations of gross misconduct and abuse of office.
At the time, Obasa was reportedly outside the country when lawmakers moved against him. His deputy then, Mojisola Meranda, emerged as the first female Speaker of the Lagos Assembly after lawmakers voted to replace him.
However, the arrangement was short-lived.
After spending 49 days in office, Meranda stepped down, paving the way for Obasa’s return following reported intervention from Tinubu, who later clarified that the impeachment process had not originated from him.
Elliot disclosed that he was outside Nigeria with his wife during the period events escalated. According to him, the couple had travelled to South Africa during the Assembly recess for a family wedding.
“I wasn’t in the country. My wife and I travelled during the period of January 2025. We were on recess and it was an opportunity for us to travel,” he explained.
He added that by the time he returned, a large number of lawmakers had already endorsed the impeachment move.
The actor-turned-politician also addressed recent remarks by Femi Gbajabiamila, who recently suggested Elliot’s role in the impeachment controversy nearly created problems for him at the presidency.
Gbajabiamila had reportedly stated during a stakeholders’ meeting in Surulere that Elliot failed to publicly distance himself from the impeachment campaign despite being advised to do so.
Responding, Elliot expressed surprise at the comments, insisting that his political leader never asked him to publicly deny involvement.
“He spoke with me during that period. He is my leader; he would always be my leader,” Elliot said.
“He spoke to me in that period and he never at any point in time asked me to make a public opinion… We spoke at that period and whatever he told me, I took to the house.”
The lawmaker further argued that abandoning fellow lawmakers during the crisis would have amounted to political betrayal.
“Because I told him it would be cowardly of me to leave 36 people and move to another side without taking a chunk of people,” he said.
Elliot also expressed surprise that the issue had resurfaced at a politically sensitive period, noting that Tinubu had earlier declared the matter settled.
“Because it is a matter that has been dead and buried, Mr President said it is over, so for my leader to bring the issue up at this political time is quite surprising to me.”
The comments are widely viewed as significant because they reopen discussions about internal power structures and loyalty dynamics within Lagos politics. Analysts believe Elliot’s remarks could further expose divisions within influential political camps ahead of future political contests.
The issue has gained additional attention as Elliot seeks a fourth term in the Lagos State House of Assembly. The political atmosphere has become more intense after Gbajabiamila publicly backed Elliot’s challenger, creating fresh speculation over shifting alliances and unresolved grievances.